Traditional Home learning is valuable for the following reasons:
1. It can help pupils to make more rapid progress in learning.
2. It can allow pupils to develop the practice of working on their own without the
constant presence of the teacher or other pupils. This way of working is vital at
the later stages of secondary education and after.
3. Work at home can provide the quiet and private conditions needed for creative
and thoughtful work of all kinds.
4. It can allow valuable practice of skills learned in the classroom.
5. It can allow pupils to use materials and other sources of information that are
not always available in the classroom.
6. It can involve parents and others in the pupils' work for their mutual benefit.
7. It can form an important part of the pupil's notes.
8. It gives pupils valuable experience of working to dead lines.
9 It forms a link with the methods of study crucial to success at Secondary School.
The new Home learning tasks below can offer the above plus more. With the massive
rise in the availability and speed of the Internet, it is now possible to offer young
people home-learning online. As most young people spend time on-line already they
are very familiar with the process.
On-line home learning has certain advantages over traditional homework. These are
1. The parents can be informed both of the number and content of the home learning
tasks being given to their children This is accomplished by simply going on-line
themselves and entering the Home-learning web site.
2. As the tasks are on the computer it is impossible for the child to lose a home-learning
3 The young people will be given a home learning booklet to write down the answers
to their tasks. However, if the child loses it at any time then any sheet of paper
4 For different levels of ability, answers are provided at the click of a mouse.
5. It helps the parent see clearly if their child is having problems with work at
6. Parent and child can work on these Internet activities together, exchanging thoughts
and inter-changing verbally about the tasks.
7. As the tasks and answers are always available, they can be use as revision before
exams. Even if the child is on holiday in Spain, or wherever.
8. As the tasks and answers are always available, the tasks can be attempted before,
during and after the relevant work is engaged at the school.
9.The tasks can be accessed from any computer. Therefore if the young person is absent
from school then the tasks can help the young person to keep up to date with school
Shown below are S3 Home-learning tasks. We would expect them to be completed by
the end of the First Term.